All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt the heart of the Exodus is a recitation of the Decalogue, a contract between Yahweh and Israel that inscribes Israel into the fabric of human societies while emphasizing its uniqueness through Yahweh. According to the demands of the Decalogue, manhood entails the avoidance of stealing, killing, and coveting, t to mention apostasy and violation of the Sabbath and other mens property. What, then, would be the essence of womanhood, if different? Is there an exclusion of women from active participation in the Sinaitic theophany and, consequently, from active sharing of responsibility and identity? How ethically rmative are the Ten Commandments? And, in terms of the present study, how gender specific are they? This study reclaims the encoded voice of womanhood, or rather the code of women as one crucial key for comprehending the ancient Israelite mind. By selecting female characters narratives as interpretative clues for the law, this book presents a reading of the Decalogue at three levels: legal, behavioral and representational.
- Author Biography...
- Author(s)Hagith Sivan
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/06/2004
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleJournal for the Study of the Old Testament Supplement S.
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 401
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintT.& T.Clark Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight579 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.