All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this study of the relationship of nationalism, communism, authoritarianism, and religion in twentieth-century Poland, Mikolaj Kunicki shows how the country's communist rulers tried to adapt communism to local traditions, particularly ethcentric nationalism and Catholicism. Focusing on the political career of Boleslaw Piasecki, a Polish nationalist politician who started his journey as a fascist before the war and ended it as a procommunist activist, Kunicki demonstrates that Polish Communists reinforced the ethcentric self-definition of Polishness and-as Piasecki's case proves-prolonged the existence of the nationalist Right. Between the Brown and the Red captures the multifaceted nature of church-state relations in Communist Poland, relations that oscillated between mutual confrontation, accommodation, and dialogue rather than stagnating in a state of constant struggle. Contrary to assumptions, under Communism the bond between religion and nation in Poland grew stronger. Between the Brown and the Red also introduces to the reader one of the most fascinating figures in the history of twentieth-century Poland and the Communist world.
- Author BiographyMikolaj Stanislaw Kunicki is Senior Research Fellow in Modern Polish Studies and Director of the Programme on Modern Poland at St Antony's College, Oxford.
- Author(s)Mikolaj Stanislaw Kunicki
- PublisherOhio University Press
- Date of Publication03/09/2013
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitlePolish and Polish-American Studies
- Place of PublicationOhio
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOhio University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.