All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionArthur L. Caplan It is commonly said, especially when the subject is assisted reproduction, that medical techlogy has out- stripped our morality. Yet, as the essays in this volume make clear, that is t an accurate assessment of the situ- ation. Medical techlogy has t overwhelmed our moral- ity. It would be more accurate to say that our society has t yet achieved consensus about the complex ethical iss- ues that arise when medicine tries to assist those who seek its services in order to reproduce. Nevertheless, there is shortage of ethical opinion about what we ought to do with respect to the use of surrogate mothers, in vitro fertil- ization, embryo transfer, artificial insemination, or fertil- ity drugs. Nor is it entirely accurate to describe assisted repro- duction as techlogy. The term techlogy carries with it contations of machines buzzing and technicians scurrying about trying to control a vast array of equip- ment. Yet, most of the methods used to assist reproduc- tion that are discussed in this volume do t involve exotic techlogies or complicated hardware. It is technique, more than techlogy, that dominates the field of assisted reproduction. Efforts to help the infertile by means of the manipu- lation of human reproductive materials and organs date 1 2 Caplan back at least to Biblical times. Human beings have en- gaged in all manner of sexual practices and manipulations in attempts to achieve reproduction when nature has balked at allowing life to begin.
- Author(s)Arthur L. Caplan,Dianne M. Bartels,Dorothy E. Vawter,Reinhard Priester
- PublisherHumana Press Inc.
- Date of Publication20/05/2013
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleContemporary Issues in Biomedicine, Ethics and Society
- Place of PublicationTotowa, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHumana Press Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight462 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1990
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.95
- AU $19.54Trending at AU $22.76
- AU $32.25Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $11.14Trending at AU $14.18
- AU $15.04Trending at AU $16.94
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $31.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.