Beyond Bullying: Breaking the Cycle of Shame, Bullying, and Violence by Jonathan Fast (Hardback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $39.10Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $57.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe first book to integrate shame research into a single overarching theory * Why are some kids magnets for bullying? * Why do gay teens commit suicide four times as frequently as straight teens? * Why do we have more men and women in prison than any other country in the world? * Why are school shootings and acts of domestic terrorism on the rise? What could possibly be the theme that ties all of these questions together, which provides a window into so many aspects of the darker aspects of human behavior? In a word, shame. Shame is a powerful and complex emotion, capable of producing dramatic reactions from even the most mild-mannered people. While shame can be employed in positive ways, such as teaching children good manners, other types of shame can be devastating, or even lethal. However, few people truly understand the role of shame in acts of bullying, violence, and discrimination. In Beyond Bullying: Breaking the Cycle of Shame, Bullying, and Violence, veteran professor of social work Jonathan Fast deftly weaves together research from the fields of psychology, sociology, ecomics, and history to create a single overarching theory of shame. The book introduces the concept of weaponized shame, a toxic and intentional attack on ather person, ting that weaponized shame is often at the heart of bullying situations. With clear, straightforward language, Dr. Fast traces the nuances of shame through several common types of bullying, highlighting bullying based on sexuality, gender, and race. Noting the pervasive presence of weaponized shame in American culture, Beyond Bullying extends shame theory to acts of domestic violence, racism, school shootings, and domestic terrorism. The issues that cause bullying are t limited to the schoolyard, but rather are responsible for horrific acts of violence across the nation. Beyond mere theory, the book provides concrete suggestions for healthy ways of dealing with shame, including techniques for diffusing potentially harmful situations. An invaluable resource for parents of bullied children, Beyond Bullying will also appeal to teachers, counselors, and social workers.
- Author BiographyJonathan Fast, MSW, PhD, is Assoicate Profssor, Wurzweiler School of Social Work, Yeshiva University. He has worked as a clincial social worker and consultant to school districts and government agencies. In a previous life, Dr. Fast was a successful novelist and screenwriter for Disney Feature Animation and other production companies.
- Author(s)Jonathan Fast
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication01/12/2015
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight518 g
- Width162 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.