All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNew approaches to collapsed complex societies. The Maya. The Romans. The great dynasties of ancient China. It is generally believed that these once mighty empires eventually crumbled and disappeared. A recent trend in archaeology, however, focusing on what happened during and after the decline of once powerful regimes has found social resilience and transformation instead of collapse. In Beyond Collapse: Archaeological Perspectives on Resilience, Revitalization, and Transformation in Complex Societies, editor Ronald K. Faulseit gathers scholars with diverse theoretical perspectives to interpret how ancient civilizations responded to various stresses, including environmental change, warfare, and the fragmentation of political institutions. Contributors discuss t only what makes societies collapse but also why some societies are resilient and others are t, as well as how societies reorganize after collapse. Putting in context issues we face today, such as climate change, social diversity, and the failure of modern states, Beyond Collapse is an essential volume for readers interested in humanenvironment interaction and in the collapse-and subsequent reorganization-of human societies.
- Author BiographyRonald K. Faulseit is a postdoctoral fellow in the Integrative Research Center at the Field Museum in Chicago. He served as the 2012-13 visiting scholar at the Center for Archaeological Investigations, Southern Illinois University Carbondale. His work has been published in the Archaeological Papers of the American Anthropological Society and the journals Latin American Antiquity and Mexicon.
- PublisherSouthern Illinois University Press
- Date of Publication30/11/2015
- Place of PublicationCarbondale
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSouthern Illinois University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight825 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Edited byRonald K. Faulseit
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $22.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.44New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.