All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor early childhood classrooms - where curriculum is increasingly shaped by standards and teachers are pressed for time - Beyond Early Literacy offers a literacy method that goes beyond simply developing language arts skills. Kwn as Shared Journal, this process promotes young children's learning across content areas - including their communication and language abilities, writing skills, sense of community, grasp of diverse social and cultural worlds, and understanding of history, counting, numeracy, and time. Pairing interactive talk with individual writing in the classroom community, this rich method develops the whole child. Special features include: * sample lesson plans, rubrics, and templates throughout the book * children's artifacts, including examples of oral and written work * teacher accounts examining the use of Shared Journal in the classroom, including strategies and suggestions * a Companion Website with templates, additional resources, and video clips of in-classroom teaching and examples of exciting ways to use new techlogies. This two-part book is first framed by current theory and research about children's cognitive, language, and literacy development, and an extensive body of research and case studies on the efficacy of the method. The second part features strategies from on-the-ground teachers who have used the process with their students and explores how Shared Journal can be used with new techlogies, can meet standards, and can be appropriate for diverse populations of children. This is a fantastic resource for use in early childhood education courses in emergent literacy, language arts, and curriculum.
- Author BiographyJanet B. Taylor is Wayne T. Smith Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Early Childhood Education at Auburn University. Nancy Amanda Branscombe is Assistant Professor of Early Childhood Education at Athens State University. Jan Gunnels Burcham is Professor of Early Childhood Education and Fletcher Distinguished Chair of Teacher Education at Columbus State University. Lilli Land is a recipient of the NAESP National Distinguished Principal Award for Alabama and currently is an education consultant.
- Author(s)Jan Gunnels Burcham,Janet B. Taylor,Lilli Land,Nancy Amanda Branscombe
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication02/09/2010
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note7 black & white tables, 24 black & white line drawings
- Weight378 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.