All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat does compassionate capitalism look like? Mark Pendergrast shows us in this enlightening story of tribal life, opium, missionaries, market trends, a Thai antiques dealer, a mining entrepreneur and coffee. Abigail Carroll, author of Three Squares: The Invention of the American Meal The Akha hill tribe of Thailand has a long, tumultuous history. Politics, ecomics, violence, prejudice, and deforestation consistently worked against the Akha's desire to move away from their dependency on opium production and create a stable future for their children. That all changed in 2006 when prominent businessman John Darch met entrepreneur Wicha Promyong. Their meeting resulted in the establishment of an equal partnership business venture that goes beyond Fair Trade: the Doi Chaang Coffee Company. Beyond Fair Trade tells the story of the growth of this unique partnership, its successes and challenges, and the people behind it.
- Author BiographyMark Pendergrast is an independent scholar and author of Uncommon Grounds and For God, Country, and Coca-Cola, and Inside the Outbreaks, among other books.
- Author(s)Mark Pendergrast
- PublisherGreystone Books,Canada
- Date of Publication29/10/2015
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintGreystone Books,Canada
- Content Note8-page color photo section
- Weight428 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.