All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe interaction of failed states, terrorism and the need for 'nation building' is at the top of the international agenda, with particular focus on Afghanistan and Iraq. This path breaking collection brings together top analysts to examine the goals and challenges facing efforts to reconstruct states that have collapsed into anarchy or have been defeated in war. Drawing on lessons from 50 years of past experience with post-conflict reconstruction and development around the world, the authors provide historical context, identify difficulties that can impede progress and recognize the realistic limitations of ambitions to create new states. They assess ongoing development plans in a country devastated by more than a century of conflict. Throughout, particular attention is paid to the interaction of the goals of external and domestic actors, highlighting the importance of understanding the internal social, ecomic and political environment of the society receiving assistance.
- Author BiographyJOHN D. MONTGOMERY joined the Harvard University Faculty as Professor of International Studies in 1963. He became Director of the Pacific Basin Research Center, Soka University of America, in 1991. He served as Editor of Policy Sciences, 1999-2001. As advisor to a variety of international development programs he has served in about 80 countries. DENNIS A. RONDINELLI is a Professor at the University of North Carolina, USA. Prior to joining UNC he was Principal Research Scientist and Senior Policy Analyst in the Office of International Programs at the Research Triangle Institute. He has done research on a number of issues including international competitiveness issues, regional development strategy, private enterprise development in emerging market economies and on corporate environmental management and globalization.
- Author(s)John D. Montgomery
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication14/07/2007
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight379 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byDennis A. Rondinelli
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $23.00New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.26Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.