All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'It is an exceptionally thoughtful assessment of assessment, and I am (along with anyone else who broods about education) much in your debt.' Jerome Bruner, personal communication with the author When this award-winning book was originally published in 1994, a review in the TES said: 'Beyond Testing is a refreshingly honest look at the dilemmas facing those who are trying to make educational assessment more supportive of high-quality learning for all pupils and students ...It contains powerful and practical messages for assessment developers, policy-makers, teachers and pupils. It exposes the very different agendas of those who wish to achieve greater system-wide accountability through educational assessment, and those who wish to use it to promote improvements in the quality of pupil learning.' Originally written to re-conceptualize assessment in education in the 1990s, Beyond Testing has stood the test of time and become a classic text in the field. With its examination of the range of uses of assessment - from teacher assessment and standardized testing to formative assessment and rm-referenced testing - to the purposes of assessment - from accountability to support for teaching and learning - the issues it deals with are as enduring and relevant to education w as they were when it was first published. It offers an unsurpassed framework for educational assessment. Now, re-released as a Routledge Education Classic, and with a new preface from D. Royce Sadler, a new generation of educationalists can be introduced to the developments in educational assessment - arguably one of the most hotly contested areas of education - in order to further their own understanding and practice.
- Author BiographyCaroline V. Gipps is an international authority on educational assessment. Originally trained as a psychologist, Caroline worked as a primary school teacher and psychometrician before entering a career in educational research. She worked for a variety of organizations before joining the Institute of Education, University of London, where she spent 19 years as a researcher, Professor of Education and then Dean of Research. During this time Caroline was president of the British Educational Research Association, a member of the RAE panel for Education in 1996, a Nuffield Research Fellow, and holder of several ESRC awards. She moved to Kingston University in 1999 as Deputy Vice-Chancellor and to the University of Wolverhampton as Vice-Chancellor in 2005.
- Author(s)Caroline Gipps
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication21/10/2011
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note2 black & white tables
- Weight272 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edition StatementClassic ed
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $26.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.