All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is the law of the law? What produces our craven subservience to linguistic rms, and our shocking indifference to the phemen of universal suffering? In a path-breaking new work of philosophy, Louis Wolcher seeks to answer these questions from the standpoint of Zen Buddhism. Bringing an Eastern sensibility into contact with three of the most important themes in Western philosophy, Beyond Transcendence in Law and Philosophy meticulously investigates three of the twentieth century's most important philosophers: Martin Heidegger - on being, Emmanuel Levinas - on ethics, and Ludwig Wittgenstein - on language. In the context of the larger Western obsession with transcending the ordinary, Louis Wolcher argues that the yearning for transcendence is born of the illusion that there is a fundamental difference between the ordinary and the profound. Employing Zen koans and stories to advance a 'deflationary' view of language and kwledge, he goes on to argue that the rms of transcendence to which we cling are t eternal truths but artefacts of desperate minds adrift on a sea of impermanence. What used to seem so majestically True, Right and Just thus shows itself to be utterly mundane: as merely true, right and just. What is left, however, is t nihilism - for clinging to a view of 'thingness' is just as deluded as clinging to a view of 'somethingness' - but rather a new beginning of compassionate concern for the suffering of others. Beyond Transcendence in Law and Philosophy is a strikingly original synthesis of Eastern and Western thought. It will enlighten philosophers and legal theorists, as well as those who are interested in or open to the insights of Zen Buddhism.
- Author BiographyLouis E. Wolcher is Charles I. Stone Professor of Law at the University of Washington.
- Author(s)Louis E. Wolcher
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication27/09/2005
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Series TitleBirkbeck Law Press
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBirkbeck Law Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight453 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.07Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.22Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.