All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.02
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
About this product
- DescriptionIn an efficient market, all stocks should be valued at a price that is consistent with available information. But as financial expert Vijay Singal, Ph.D., CFA, points out, there are circumstances under which certain stocks sell at a price higher or lower than the right price. In Beyond the Random Walk, Singal discusses ten such amalous prices and shows how investors might-or might t-be able to exploit these situations for profit. The author distills several decades of academic research into a focused discussion of market amalies that is both accessible and useful to people with varied backgrounds. Past empirical evidence is supplemented with author's own research using more recent data. Amalies covered include the December Effect, Momentum in Industry Stocks, S&P 500 Index Changes, Trading by Insiders, and Merger Arbitrage. In each chapter, the author describes the particular amaly, explains how it occurs, shows ways to take advantage of the amaly, and highlights the risks involved. We learn, for example, that shares of stocks that have appreciated in recent months become scarce in late December, because investors wait until January before they sell (to postpone payment of taxes on profits). This scarcity drives the price up-the December Effect -and smart buyers can make the equivalent of 75% annual return on a five-day investment. Each chapter includes suggestions for further reading as well as tables and graphs that support the discussion. The book concludes with a preview of many other interesting amalies and a section on how investor behavior might influence prices. Clearly written and informative, this well-researched volume is a must read for investors, traders, market specialists, and students of financial markets.
- Author BiographyVijay Singal is J. Gray Ferguson Professor of Finance and Chairperson of the Finance Department at the Pamplin College of Business of Virginia Tech. Dr. Singal is an author of many academic and practitioner articles.
- Author(s)Vijay Singal
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication01/06/2006
- SubjectFinance & Accounting
- Series TitleFinancial Management Association Survey & Synthesis Series
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2006
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note2 halftones, 10 line illus.
- Weight576 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.