All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis groundbreaking collection by the most distinguished musicologists and film scholars in their fields gives long overdue recognition to music as equal to the image in shaping the experience of film. Refuting the familiar idea that music serves as an unticed prop for narrative, these essays demonstrate that music is a fully imagined and active power in the worlds of film. Even where films do give it a supporting role--and many do much more--music makes an independent contribution. Drawing on recent advances in musicology and cinema studies, Beyond the Soundtrack interprets the cinematic representation of music with unprecedented richness. The authors cover a broad range of narrative films, from the silent era (t so silent) to the present. Once we think beyond the soundtrack, this volume shows, there is unheard music in cinema.
- Author BiographyDaniel Goldmark is Assistant Professor of Music History at Case Western Reserve University. He is the author of Tunes for 'Toons: Music and the Hollywood Cartoon (UC Press). Lawrence Kramer is Professor of English and Music at Fordham University and editor of 19th Century Music. His many books include Opera and Modern Culture, Musical Meaning: Toward a Critical History, and Why Classical Music Still Matters, all from UC Press. Richard Leppert is Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor in Cultural Studies and Comparative Literature at the University of Minnesota. His many books include Theodor W. Adorno: Essays on Music, and The Sight of Sound: Music, Representation, and the History of the Body, both from UC Press.
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication08/06/2007
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note19 b/w photographs, 2 tables, 5 music examples
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byDaniel Goldmark,Lawrence Kramer,Richard Leppert
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.31New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.19Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $3.54Trending at AU $7.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.