All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionWhile household archaeologists view the home as a social unit, few move their investigations beyond the walls when contextualizing a household in its community. Even exterior aspects of a dwelling-its plant life, yard spaces, and trash heaps-uncover issues of domination and resistance, gender relations, and the effects of colonialism. This invative volume examines historical homes and their wider landscapes to more fully address social issues of the past. The contributors, leading archaeologists using various interpretive frameworks, analyze households across time periods and diverse cultures in North America. Including case studies of James Madison's Montpelier, George Washington's Ferry Farm, Chinese immigrants in a Nevada mining town, Hawaiian ranching communities, and Southern plantations, Beyond the Walls offers a new avenue for archaeological study of domestic sites.
- Author BiographyKevin R. Fogle is an instructor in the department of anthropology at the University of South Carolina, USA. James A. Nyman is an instructor in the department of anthropology at the University of North Carolina, USA. Mary C. Beaudry, professor of archaeology, anthropology, and gastronomy at Boston University, USA is the author of Findings: The Material Culture of Needlework and Sewing.
- PublisherUniversity Press of Florida
- Date of Publication30/11/2015
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationFlorida
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Florida
- Content Note5 black & white illustrations, 7 black & white photographs, 8 maps
- Weight825 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byJames A. Nyman,Kevin R. Fogle,Mary C. Beaudry
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.