Beyond the Wire: Former Prisoners and Conflict Transformation in Northern Ireland by Kieran McEvoy, Peter Shirlow (Paperback, 2008)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $53.66Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $41.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides the first detailed examination of the role played by former loyalist and republican prisoners in grass roots conflict transformation work in the Northern Ireland peace process. It challenges the assumed passivity of former prisoners and ex-combatants. Instead, it suggests that such individuals and the groups which they formed have been key agents of conflict transformation. They have provided leadership in challenging cultures of violence, developed practical methods of resolving inter-communal conflict and found ways for communities to explore their troubled past. In analysing this, the authors challenge the sterile demonisation of former prisoners and the processes that maintain their exclusion from rmal civic and social life. The book is a constructive reminder of the need for full participation of both former combatants and victims in post-conflict transformation. It also lays out a new agenda for reconciliation which suggests that conflict transformation can and should begin 'from the extremes'. The book will be of interest to students of crimilogy, peace and conflict studies, law and politics, geography and sociology as well as those with a particular interest in the Northern Ireland conflict.
- Author BiographyPeter Shirlow is Senior Lecturer in the School of Environmetal Studies at the University of Ultster. He has written widely on the political economy of Ireland. Kieran McEvoy is a Professor of Law and Transitional Justice and Director of the Institute of Criminology and Criminal Justice, Queens University Belfast. He has written and edited several books on prisoners, conflict and transitional justice including Paramilitary Imprisonment in Northern Ireland, winner of the British Society of Criminology Book of Year Award in 2002.
- Author(s)Kieran McEvoy,Peter Shirlow
- PublisherPluto Press
- Date of Publication09/01/2008
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPluto Press
- Out-of-print date25/08/2015
- Content Noteblack & white tables
- Weight249 g
- Width135 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.