All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the James Beard Award winner, Top Chef Masters contestant, and acclaimed author comes this fun, festive, and highly caffeinated ode to the joys and rituals of the Southern breakfast, with over 125 recipes inspired by the author's popular restaurant in Oxford, Mississippi. John Currence is one of the most celebrated and well-loved chefs in the South. Among his string of highly successful restaurants in Oxford, Mississippi, Big Bad Breakfast holds a special place in diners' hearts: It is a gathering place where people from all walks come together to share the most important meal of the day, breakfast. Southerners kw how to do breakfast right, and Currence has elevated it to an artform: dishes like Banana-Pecan Coffee Cake, Spicy Boudin and Poached Eggs, and Oyster Pot Pie are comforting, soulful, and packed with real Southern flavor. Big Bad Breakfast is full of delicious recipes that will make the day ahead that much better--t to mention stories of the wonderful characters who fill the restaurant every morning, and a meditation on why the Southern breakfast is one of America's most valuable culinary contributions.
- Author BiographyJOHN CURRENCE was born and raised in New Orleans, Louisiana, and had his first cooking job while working offshore as a deckhand on a tugboat in the Gulf of Mexico. His love for the kitchen was ignited during his first restaurant job at Bill Neal s Crook s Corner while at the University of North Carolina. That job along with several others he curated during those years (baking bread at an Italian restaurant, working at a butcher shop, cutting salmon and bluefish at a local smokehouse, and working a short-order line at a bookstore/cafe) cemented his love for the industry. Currence returned to New Orleans to help his childhood friend Larkin Selman open Gautreau s, where he worked as sous chef. After several years, Currence moved on to the Brennan family of restaurants to help open Bacco, before finally settling in Oxford in 1992 and opening City Grocery. Since then, the City Grocery Restaurant Group has opened a number of restaurants, including Ajax Diner, Nacho Mama s, Kalo s Tavern, Big Bad Breakfast, Boure, Lamar Lounge, The Main Event, and Snackbar. Currence is the recipient of the 2009 James Beard Award for Best Chef South and the Southern Foodways Alliance Guardian of the Tradition Award. He has appeared on television programs such as Parts Unknown, Mind of a Chef, Bizarre Foods, Treme, and Top Chef Masters and his writing has appeared in Food & Wine and Bon Appetit, among many others. He is a contributing editor for Garden & Gun magazine, a board member of No Kid Hungry (a project dedicated to eradicating childhood hunger in the United States), and an organizer and past board member of the prestigious annual Southern Foodways Symposium. During his tenure as president/chairman of the Mississippi Restaurant Association, the Association was one of the first in the country to establish a statewide culinary educational program in Mississippi public schools. He worked for years as organizer of a local farmers cooperative and market which established a bi-weekly venue for local farmers to sell their goods in the Oxford community. A deep interest in the arts led to five years as president of the local arts council and a nine year project assembling funds and overseeing the construction of a community performing arts center. The eighteen months following hurricane Katrina found Currence mostly in New Orleans leading the rebuilding of Willie Mae s Scotch House in the Treme neighborhood of the city, which was the subject of a feature-length documentary called Above the Line: Saving Willie Mae s Scotch House. An avid hunter and fisherman, Currence lives in Oxford with his wife, Bess, and extremely strong-headed but amazing daughter, Mamie. If you need him, he s the chubby guy at the end of the bar, sipping whiskey and bitching about the current state of American politics, entitlement, and/or commercial air travel. Just keep your hands and feet away from his mouth and cover your children s ears . . .
- Author(s)John Currence
- PublisherTen Speed Press
- Date of Publication23/09/2016
- SubjectFood & Drink: General
- Place of PublicationBerkeley CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintTen Speed Press
- Content Note150 photos
- Weight1157 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Cook Books
Save on Cook Books
- AU $23.04Trending at AU $35.25
- AU $28.80Trending at AU $50.71
- AU $34.95Trending at AU $58.94
- AU $41.86Trending at AU $44.07
- AU $26.00Trending at AU $32.41
- AU $33.74Trending at AU $39.65
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $32.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.