All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThrough quirky plots, one-of-kind characters, and more than a few twists, the stories in Big Bend examine gentle-hearted men and their relationships. From made-in-heaven meetings to troublesome liaisons, Roorbach's characters experience romance in unexpected, sometimes disastrous ways. In Fog, a teenage boy learns hard lessons about caes, the Gulf of Maine, sex, and love. A struggling young artist goes home for the holidays in search of succor for the stomach - and heart - with poor results in Thanksgiving. Other stories recount the ultimately disastrous reunion of estranged friends, an unemployed architect's foolish courting with bad company, and a middle-aged rock star's struggle with the urge to settle down. In the tiitle story, Big Bend, a grieving widower, troubled by his own waning years, is tempted by a seductively attentive birdwatcher older than his daughter. Poignant tales of hauntingly familiar situations, Bill Roorbach's stories are full of heart, romance, edgy humour, and the frequently concealed vulnerability of men.
- Author BiographyBill Roorbach is the author of a number of books of fiction and nonfiction, including the novels Life among the Giants and The Smallest Color, the romantic memoir Summers with Juliet, the essay collection Into Woods, and Maine Prize nonfiction winner Temple Stream: A Rural Odyssey. The tenth anniversary edition of his craft book, Writing Life Stories, is used in writing programmes around the world. His short fiction has been published in Harper's, Atlantic Monthly, the New York Times, Playboy, and dozens of other magazines, journals, and websites. He lives in western Maine.
- Author(s)Bill Roorbach
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication30/01/2014
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Series TitleFlannery O'Connor Award for Short Fiction
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight218 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $21.20
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.66
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.92
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $20.04
- AU $56.19Trending at AU $59.46
- AU $21.87Trending at AU $24.81
- AU $15.99Trending at AU $21.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.