All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis highly readable and timely book explores the transformation of the modern and contemporary art market in the 21st century from a niche trade to a globalised operation worth an estimated $50 billion a year.Drawing on her personal experience, the author describes in fascinating detail the contributions made by a range of actors and institutions to these recent developments. The book focuses on the development of auction houses into globalised, often cutthroat 'art business' firms; the emergence and modi operandi of 'mega-dealers' and middlemen; the 'new frontier' of selling art on the internet; the radical changes in the profile of art collectors; the phemen of the 'branded' artist and the explosion of art fairs. It addresses the negative side to the art market's expansion, particularly its lack of transparency and light regulation. The author's engaging style makes this informative text ideal for collectors, students, and anyone interested in learning more about the evolution of the unprecedented market for art which exists today.
- Author BiographyGeorgina Adam is a journalist who has covered the global art market for the last 30 years. She writes a weekly column for the Financial Times and a fortnightly one for BBC WorldWide, as well as contributing to The Art Newspaper, where formerly she was Art Market Editor. She also lectures at Sotheby's Institute of Art and Christie's Education and participates in panels at art fairs in the UK and abroad.
- Author(s)Georgina Adam
- PublisherLund Humphries Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication28/06/2014
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLund Humphries Publishers Ltd
- Weight476 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.