All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionInternational Schools have developed since their inception from a largely native English-speaking student body to schools such as the author's, the Vienna International School (VIS), where there are students of 90 nationalities with 65 mother tongues. Maurice Carder proposes a three-programme model for addressing the language and curricula needs of these students: a content-based second language programme; a programme of cultural and linguistic training for all staff; and a mother tongue programme for mirity students. The model is based on research findings and practice: at the VIS every year approximately 1/3 of the graduating students gain an IB Diploma (International Baccalaureate) because they are able to take their mother tongue (other than English or German) as Language A1. The book contains insightful chapters t only for school leaders, programme designers and teachers, but also for parents. Inserted boxes of student responses give an authentic voice to the needs of second language learners, and many useful resources and websites are given.
- Author BiographyMaurice Carder's career has been dedicated to second language learners of English. After graduating with a BA Honours in Spanish (Bristol) he gained Qualified Teacher Status at the Institute of Education (London). He had teaching posts in Sevilla, Tehran, Lisbon, Greece, Porto, and Bath (UK) before gaining an MA in Linguistics (Lancaster). This led to posts in Mexico and Germany, then to the Vienna International School, Austria, in 1981, where he has remained until now. He has worked on various projects with the International Baccalaureate Organisation, and done much committee work with the European Council of International Schools. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Linguists. His writings on bilingualism and language-related matters have appeared in several books, and in journals such as the International Schools Journal and the Journal for Research in International Education.
- Author(s)Maurice Carder
- PublisherChannel View Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication10/01/2007
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleParents' and Teachers' Guides
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMultilingual Matters
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight424 g
- Width150 mm
- Height219 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.