All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThrough natural evolvement in thousands of years, biosurfaces have become highly adaptable to display their biological functions perfectly. Interestingly, they have developed micro-/nastructures with gradient features to achieve smart wetting controls, such as ultra-hydrophobic water repellency in lotus leaf, directional water collection in wetted spider silk, directional adhesion in superhydrophobic butterfly wing, and fog-collecting hydrophobic/hydrophilic pattern on beetle back. These surfaces provide endless inspiration for the design and fabrication of functional interface materials with unique wettability, generating promising applications such as micro-fluidic devices, functional textiles, corrosion resistance, liquid transportation, antifogging, and water-collecting devices. In recent years there has been an exciting confluence of research areas of physics, chemistry, biology, and materials science to develop functional micro- and nasurfaces. A kernel consists of organic materials with high/low surface energy and regular/irregular order/disorder, which can be rough/smooth and endlessly arranged and combined with various styles of micro- and nastructures. This book introduces recent research on wettability of biological and bio-inspired surfaces. It discusses the mechanism of smart wetting controls, such as water collection/repellency on biological micro-/nastructure gradient interfaces. It suggests ways to mimic these biological features to realize bio-inspired functional surfaces with unique wettability. The book will help researchers invate designs with vel materials for future scientific works.
- Author BiographyYongmei Zheng is a professor at the School of Chemistry and Environment, Beihang University, Beijing, China. She received her master's degree from the Department of Applied Physics and her doctorate from the School of Communications and Information Engineering, Jilin University, China. She worked as a postdoctoral fellow in Lei Jiang's group at the Institute of Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences (ICCAS), Beijing, and also as an associate professor at the National Center for Nanoscience and Technology, Beijing, and the School of Chemistry and Environment, Beihang University, Beijing. She also conducts her research in the Key Laboratory of Bio-inspired Smart Interfacial Science and Technology of the Ministry of Education, Beijing. She has published over 30 articles in international peer-reviewed journals, has been part of more than 10 conferences and presentations, and has 7 patents to her credit. Her current research focuses on the study of wettability functions of biological surfaces with unique gradient micro-/nanostructure and the preparation of artificial functional surfaces by various techniques and methods to mimic the unique features of biosurfaces.
- PublisherPan Stanford Publishing Pte Ltd
- Date of Publication13/07/2015
- SubjectIndustrial Chemistry & Manufacturing
- Place of PublicationSingapore
- Country of PublicationSingapore
- ImprintPan Stanford Publishing Pte Ltd
- Content Note89 black & white illustrations, 9 colour illustrations
- Weight430 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byCheng Qunfeng,Hou Yongping,Yuan Chen,Zheng Yongmei
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.