Bioethics and Armed Conflict: Moral Dilemmas of Medicine and War by Michael L. Gross (Paperback, 2006)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $41.17Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $24.58Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by book_fountain
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIs medical ethics in times of armed conflict identical to medical ethics in times of peace, as the World Medical Association declares? In Bioethics and Armed Conflict, the first comprehensive study of medical ethics in conventional, unconventional, and low-intensity war, Michael Gross examines the dilemmas that arise when bioethical principles clash with military necessity -- when physicians try to save lives during an endeavor dedicated to taking them -- and describes both the conflicts and congruencies of military and medical ethics. Gross describes how the principles of contemporary just war, unlike those of medical ethics, often go beyond the welfare of the individual to consider the collective interests of combatants and ncombatants and the general interests of the state. Military necessity plays havoc with such patients' rights as the right to life, the right to medical care, informed consent, confidentiality, and the right to die. The principles of triage in battle conditions dictate t need-based treatment but the distribution of resources that will return the greatest number of soldiers to active duty. And unconventional warfare, including current wars on terrorism, challenges the traditional concept of medical neutrality as physicians who have sworn to do harm are called upon to lend their expertise to interrogational torture or to the development of biological or chemical weapons. Difficult dilemmas inevitably arise during armed conflict, and medicine, Gross concludes, is t above the fray. Medical ethics in time of war cant be identical to medical ethics in peacetime.
- Author BiographyMichael L. Gross is Codirector of the Graduate Program in Applied and Professional Ethics in the Division of International Relations at the University of Haifa. He is the author of Ethics and Activism: The Theory and Practice of Political Morality.
- Author(s)Michael L. Gross
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication14/07/2006
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleBasic Bioethics
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Weight522 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $20.06New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $56.86Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.81Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.