All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCritiquing many areas of medical practice and research whilst making constructive suggestions about medical education, this book extends the scope of medical ethics beyond sole concern with regulation. Illustrating some humanistic ways of understanding patients, this volume explores the connections between medical ethics, healthcare and subjects, such as philosophy, literature, creative writing and medical history and how they can affect the attitudes of doctors towards patients and the perceptions of medicine, health and disease which have become part of contemporary culture. The authors examine a range of ideas in medical practice and research, including: * the idea that patient status or the doctor/patient relationship can be understood via quantitative scales * the illusion fostered by medical ethics that doctors, unlike those in other professions, are uniquely beneficent and indeed altruistic. An excellent text for undergraduate and postgraduate students of law, medical ethics and medical healthcare law, Bioethics and the Humanities shows the real ethical achievements, problems and half-truths of contemporary medicine.
- Author BiographyR.S. Downie is Emeritus Professor of Moral Philosophy at Glasgow University and Professorial Research Fellow. He has specialised in applying philosophical techniques to practical problems. In particular, he is interested in biomedical ethics and in the use of literature and the arts as vehicles for developing medical perceptions and attitudes.
- Author(s)Jane Macnaughton,Robin Downie
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication25/01/2007
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Series TitleBiomedical Law & Ethics Library
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintUCL Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight430 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.