All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNatural fiber-reinforced composites have the potential to replace synthetic composites, leading to less expensive, stronger and more environmentally-friendly materials. This book provides a detailed review on how a broad range of biofibers can be used as reinforcements in composites and assesses their overall performance. The book is divided into five major parts according to the origins of the different biofibers. Part I contains chapters on bast fibers, Part II; leaf fibers, Part III; seed fibers, Part IV; grass, reed and cane fibers, and finally Part V covers wood, cellulosic and other fibers including cellulosic nafibers. Each chapter reviews a specific type of biofiber providing detailed information on the sources of each fiber, their cultivation, how to process and prepare them, and how to integrate them into composite materials. The chapters outline current and potential applications for each fiber and discuss their main strengths and weaknesses.
- Author BiographyOmar Faruk completed his B.S. and M.S. in Chemistry at the University of Chittagong, Bangladesh. With a DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) scholarship, he joined at University of Kassel, Germany. He achieved his PhD in Mechanical Engineering at 2005. He worked at the Department of Forestry, Michigan State University, USA as a Visiting Research Associate from 2006 to 2009. Since 2010, he is working at the Centre for Biocomposites and Biomaterials Processing, University of Toronto, Canada. Mohini Sain is Professor and Director of the Centre for Biocomposites and Biomaterials Processing at the University of Toronto, and the Dean of the Faculty of Forestry.Sain was the recipient of one of the 2001 Industry-University Synergy Awards and the Society of Plastics Engineers award for Significant Industrial Contribution in 2002.
- PublisherElsevier Science & Technology
- Date of Publication05/09/2014
- SubjectEngineering & Technology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWoodhead Publishing Ltd
- Weight1260 g
- Width155 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine49 mm
- Edited byMohini Sain,Omar Faruk
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.