All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.90Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $32.49Trending at AU $33.66
About this product
- DescriptionIn a world that peers over the brink of disaster more often than t it is difficul t to find specific assignments for the scholarly community. One speaks of peace and brotherhood only to realize that for many the only real hope of making a contribution may seem to be in a field of scientific specialization seemingly irrelevant to social causes and problems. Yet the history of man since the beginnings of science in the days of the Greeks does t support this gloomy thesis. Time and again we have seen science precipitate social trends or changes in the humanistic beliefs that have a significant effect on. the scientific community. Not infrequently the theoretical scientist, triggered by society's changing goals and understandings, finds ultimate satisfaction in the work of his colleagues in engineering and the other applied fields. Thus the major debate in mid-nineteenth century in which the evidence of natural history and geology at variance with the Biblical feats provided t only courage to a timid Darwin but the kind of audience that was needed to fit his theories into the broad public dialogue on these topics. The impact of Darwinism was felt far beyond the scientific community. It affected social thought, upset religious certainties and greatly affected the teaching of science.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication31/12/1995
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight544 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byAllen D. Breck
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1972
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.