All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOver the course of human history, the sciences, and biology in particular, have often been manipulated to cause immense human suffering. For example, biology has been used to justify eugenic programs, forced sterilization, human experimentation, and death camps, all in an attempt to support tions of racial superiority. By investigating the past, the contributors to Biology and Ideology from Descartes to Dawkins hope to better prepare us to discern ideological abuse of science when it occurs in the future. Denis R. Alexander and Ronald L. Numbers bring together fourteen experts to examine the varied ways science has been used and abused for nscientific purposes from the fifteenth century to the present day. Featuring an essay on eugenics from Edward J. Larson and an examination of the progress of evolution by Michael Ruse, Biology and Ideology examines uses both benign and sinister, ultimately reminding us that ideological extrapolation continues today. An accessible survey, this collection will enlighten historians of science, their students, practicing scientists, and anyone interested in the relationship between science and culture.
- Author BiographyDenis R. Alexander is director of the Faraday Institute for Science and Religion, St Edmund's College, University of Cambridge, and has worked in the biological research community for the past forty years. Ronald L. Numbers is the Hilldale Professor of History of Science and Medicine at the University of Wisconsin - Madison and coeditor of When Science and Christianity Meet, also published by the University of Chicago Press.
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication25/05/2010
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note30 halftones, 1 line drawing
- Weight612 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byDenis R. Alexander,Ronald L. Numbers
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.72Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.