All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe energy short-falls of the 1970's made clear both individual and national vulnerability when reliance is on a single energy source such as petroleum. Further, the situation was a sharp reminder that fossil fuels are finite and that their supplies will become limiting. Whether short supplies are for political, ecomical, or geological reasons, they signal the need to plan for a future with diverse options so.that needs can be met without disruptive consequences when supplies of one source become limiting. Conservation plays a major role in any strategy; however, it should be recognized that such steps can only buy time by extending the supply -- t create new energy supplies. Proven petroleum reserves in the United States currently are stated to be equivalent to only 8~ years consumption at current rates assuming imports or additional petroleum discoveries. Ather important strategy is to develop biomass, solar and other alternative energy supplies and integrate their use into contemporary society. A fundamental difference between fossil fuels and biomass involves the concept of stock versus flow resources. For example, the amount of crude oil is basically a fixed or stock level which is being rapidly mined.
- Author(s)Wayne H. Smith
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication14/11/2013
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note11 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight1281 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine35 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $21.12New
- AU $18.72New
- AU $10.89Used
- AU $24.74New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $13.54New
- AU $6.44Used
- AU $19.88New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.70New
- AU $11.50Used
- AU $23.89New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $18.75Trending at AU $21.12
- AU $22.97Trending at AU $26.87
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $77.71
- AU $78.60Trending at AU $90.07
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.10
- AU $21.45Trending at AU $22.55
- AU $39.94Trending at AU $43.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.