All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBioscience ethics facilitates free and accurate information transfer from applied science to applied bioethics. Its major elements are: increased understanding of biological systems, responsible use of techlogy, and attuning ethcentric debates to new scientific insights. Pioneered by Irina Pollard in 1994, bioscience ethics has become an internationally recognized discipline, interfacing science and bioethics within professional perspectives such as medical, legal, bio-engineering, and ecomics. Written for students and professionals alike, the fundamental feature of this book is its breadth, important because bioscience ethics interweaves many diverse subjects in the process of gathering specialist scientific kwledge for bioethical review. It contains chapters which embrace topics affecting human reproduction, end-of-life care and euthanasia, challenge human-dominated ecosystems, and review population growth, ecomic activity and warfare. A background section describes the evolution of ethical consciousness, explores the future, and proposes that the reworking of ethical boundaries can enhance mature decision-making in harmony with changing techlogy.
- Author BiographyIrina Pollard is an Associate Professor in the Department of Biological Sciences at Macquarie University in Sydney. In the 1990s, she initiated and developed new ways of communicating science described as bioscience ethics. Her research activities have generated a deep concern for social justice and, as a result, she is active in community education and serves on local and international institutional ethics committees. Through U.N. affiliated organizations, she is occupied with international bioscience-bioethics education projects via active membership on UNESCO's School of Ethics and, more recently, as the Chair of the Australian Unit of the International Network of the UNESCO Chair in Bioethics. In 2007 she was elected on the Board of Directors of the International Association of Bioethics. She also founded the Bioscience-Bioethics Friendship Co-operative (BBFC) web portal at http://www.bioscience-bioethics.org/ which provides free admittance to educational material in the area of stress physiology, reproduction, toxicology-teratology, environmental ethics and access to other useful links for those interested in bioscience and bioethics.
- Author(s)Irina Pollard
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication28/05/2009
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note15 b/w illus.
- Weight790 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.