Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $7.00+ AU $6.00 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAnnie Proulx, one of America's finest writers, invites us to share her experience in the building of her new home on a rich plot of untouched, unspoilt prairie and her pleasure in uncovering of the layers of American history locked beneath the topsoil. 'Bird Cloud' is the name Annie Proulx gave to 640 acres of Wyoming wetlands and prairie and 400 foot cliffs plunging down to the North Platte River. On the day she first visited, a cloud in the shape of a bird hung in the evening sky. Proulx also saw pelicans, bald eagles, golden eagles, great blue herons, ravens, scores of bluebirds, harriers, kestrels, elk, deer and a dozen antelope. She knew she had to purchase the land, then owned by the Nature Conservancy, and she knew what she would build on it -- a house in harmony with her work, her appetites and her character -- a library surrounded by bedrooms and a kitchen. Proulx's first n-fiction in more than twenty years, Bird Cloud is the story of building that house -- solar panels, a Japanese soak tub, a concrete floor, elk horn handles on kitchen cabinets -- and an enthralling natural history and archeology of the region, inhabited for millennia by Ute, Arapaho and Shoshone Indians. It is also a family history, going back to nineteenth century Mississippi river boat captains and Canadian settlers, and an illuminating autobiography. Proulx, a writer with extraordinary powers of observation and compassion, turns her lens on herself. We understand how she came to be living in a house surrounded by wilderness, with shelves for thousands of books and long worktables on which to heap manuscripts, research materials and maps, and how she came to be one of the great American writers of her time.
- Author BiographyAnnie Proulx's books include the novel 'The Shipping News' and the story collection 'Fine Just the Way It Is'. Her many honors include a Pulitzer Prize, a National Book Award, the Irish Times International Fiction Prize and a PEN/Faulkner award. She lives in Wyoming.
- Author(s)Annie Proulx
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication08/05/2007
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFourth Estate Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight394 g
- Width141 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $71.91New
- AU $31.03New
- AU $16.40New
- AU $12.81Used
- AU $79.36New
- AU $18.71New
- AU $109.48New
- AU $22.40New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $26.95Trending at AU $30.78
- AU $26.13Trending at AU $31.03
- AU $76.69Trending at AU $79.36
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $21.47
- AU $74.55Trending at AU $83.21
- AU $10.58Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $17.98Trending at AU $20.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.