All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBreton Dukes stands in the great tradition of New Zealand writers - Frank Sargeson, Maurice Duggan, Owen Marshall - who have looked at men's lives. The portraits in Dukes' stories are searingly fresh, always pointing away from cliches about male failure. The characters here are often trying to break free of expectation, and our engagement with them is always heightened by the language Dukes creates. With a bold mix of plain-speaking and lyrical flourish, the writer brings emotional urgency as well as surprising humour to a range of worlds - from remote hot pools to a Johnsonville bottle store - from a predatory act during a cross-country run in Fiordland to a doomed diving trip off Wellington's south coast.
- Author BiographyBreton Dukes has worked in hospitals, language schools, gymnasiums, bars, kitchens, factories and government call centres. Raised in Dunedin, he currently lives with his partner in Northland where he is a house-husband, an ocean swimmer, a bird watcher ...
- Author(s)Breton Dukes
- PublisherVictoria University Press
- Date of Publication07/10/2011
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationWellington
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- ImprintVictoria University Press
- Weight210 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $31.01New
- AU $78.85New
- AU $21.56New
- AU $43.88New
- AU $23.51New
- AU $25.04New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.48Trending at AU $31.01
- AU $76.69Trending at AU $86.23
- AU $74.55Trending at AU $83.16
- AU $59.72Trending at AU $61.86
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $20.85
- AU $22.27Trending at AU $22.91
- AU $10.68Trending at AU $18.69
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.