All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBitter Scrolls is a broad survey of our sacred texts, both Holy Writ (Hebrew Bible, New Testament, Qur'an) and secular masterpieces, from the Epic of Gilgamesh to the work of William Butler Yeats and D.H. Lawrence, whose canical status often exempts them from the sort of hardsed, commonsense criticism that we uniformly apply to contemporary literature and art. A frank look at this literature reveals a stunning combination of bias and blindness toward women. Ackwledging this would, in any case, be painful and depressing; but confronting it in some of our greatest minds-Homer, Aeschylus, Virgil, Boccaccio, Rabelais, Shakespeare, Milton, Pope, Wordsworth, and so on-must inevitably give rise to profound, if longer unusual, culture shock. With few exceptions, we can more remake the can than we can redesign our family tree, but we need to come to terms with the toxic contents of our art.
- Author BiographyPeter Heinegg is a professor of English at Union College, critic, translator, and essayist. He holds a Ph.D. in comparative literature from Harvard University.
- Author(s)Peter Heinegg
- PublisherUniversity Press of America
- Date of Publication21/10/2010
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of America
- Weight272 g
- Width154 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.