All listings for this product
About this product
- Product InformationAn outback tale where ambition and power is tested by ideas of land ownership,Bitter Springstells the story of Wally King (Aussie iconChips Rafferty, Smiley) - a 20th century settler destined to make a go of life on the land.Traveling some 900 kilometers to outback South Australia with his family, wife Ma (Jean Blue), children Emma and John (Charles 'Bud' Tingwell, The Castle), as well as friends Tommy (Tommy Trinder) and Mac (Gordon Jackson, The Professionals), Wally establishes himself on the land he has bought from the government, only to learn it is shared by a tribe of Indigenous people. Despite warnings from the local Trooper (Michael Pate, Matlock Police), the bigoted King threatens the tribe, who depend on the water located on what has become the family's property.With relations deteriorating between the landowner and the people of the land, it is only a matter of time before violence rears its ugly head. And when family falls in the firing line, Wally is faced with a sudden dilemma of survival and co-habitation in an otherwise unforgiving land.
- TitleBitter Springs
- Product Release Date02/07/2014
- Theatrical Release Year1950
- Number of Discs1
- ActorsCharles Tingwell,Chips Rafferty,Gordon Jackson,Jean Blue,Tommy Trinder
- DirectorsRalph Smart
- Rating InfoGeneral Exhibition
- Run Time83 minutes
- Primary GenreDrama
- Sub GenreAustralian
- Aspect Ratio4:3
- Main Audio TypeMono
- Video FormatPAL
- Is Black-and-WhiteYes
Most relevant reviews
- jordyland195706 Jun, 2015by
Well worth watching even if it is from our past.
All Australians should support our movie industry. This movie from the past shows the problems faced by the new clashing headlong into the old ways and along the way lessons learned.
- sho194207 Dec, 2014by
A true story of the early Aboriginal contact with the whites.
This was the second film our dear friend Steve "Mullawalla" Dodd appeared in. Sadly Steve passed away a few weeks ago. He was originally discovered by Chips Rafferty in his first movie "The Overlanders in 1946. Steve fought for Australia in the Korean conflict, twice wounded and decorated. He went on to appear in 55 movies, including Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith, Matrix, Quigly Down under, Gallipoli and many more. He lived a simple life here at St Georges Basin on the NSW South Coast and was a dear mate to many. His funeral was held on the lake, close to the little abode he lived in. He was given a full military send off with his ccffin draped with the Aussie flag.
Best-selling in DVDs & Blu-ray Discs
- AU $35.09New
- AU $28.95Used
- AU $28.42New
- AU $28.89New
- AU $11.29New
- AU $24.29New
- AU $24.29New
- AU $24.29New
Save on DVDs & Blu-ray Discs
- AU $33.95Trending at AU $35.09
- AU $32.99Trending at AU $61.49
- AU $9.95Trending at AU $11.29
- AU $22.50Trending at AU $24.29
- AU $56.95Trending at AU $74.83
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $39.74
- AU $14.89Trending at AU $15.44