All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor much of the twentieth century, black Greek-letter organizations (BGLOs) united individuals dedicated to excellence, fostering kinship ties, and uplifting African Americans. Despite the profound influence of BGLOs, many w question the continuing relevance of these groups, arguing that their golden age has passed. Partly because of the influence of hip-hop culture, the image of BGLOs has been unfairly reduced to a stereotype - a world of hazing and stepping without any real substance. Not only does the general public kw very little about these groups, but often the members themselves do t have a deep understanding of their history and culture or of the issues facing their organizations.Gregory S. Parks has assembled an impressive group of contributors to show that the BGLOs' most important work lies ahead. Black Greek-letter Organizations in the Twenty-first Century: Our Fight Has Just Begun provides historical context for the development of BGLOs and explores their service activities as well as their relationships with other prominent African American institutions. The book examines BGLOs' responses to a number of contemporary issues, including n-black membership, homosexuality within membership, and the perception of BGLOs as educated gangs, in order to demonstrate that these organizations can create a positive and enduring future.
- Author BiographyGregory S. Parks is coeditor of African American Fraternities and Sororities: The Legacy and the Vision. A life member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., he received his PhD in psychology from the University of Kentucky and is a JD candidate at Cornell Law School.
- PublisherThe University Press of Kentucky
- Date of Publication15/07/2008
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Place of PublicationLexington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University Press of Kentucky
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight918 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byGregory S. Parks
- Foreword byJulianne M. Malveaux
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.