All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the story of a small group of soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division s fabled 502nd Infantry Regiment a unit kwn as the Black Heart Brigade. Deployed in late 2005 to Iraq s so-called Triangle of Death, a veritable meat grinder just south of Baghdad, the Black Hearts found themselves in arguably the country s most dangerous location at its most dangerous time. Hit by near-daily mortars, gunfire, and roadside bomb attacks, suffering from a particularly heavy death toll, and enduring a chronic breakdown in leadership, members of one Black Heart platoon 1st Platoon, Bravo Company, 1st Battalion descended, over their year-long tour of duty, into a tailspin of poor discipline, substance abuse, and brutality. Four 1st Platoon soldiers would perpetrate one of the most heius war crimes U.S. forces have committed during the Iraq War the rape of a fourteen-year-old Iraqi girl and the cold-blooded execution of her and her family. Three other 1st Platoon soldiers would be overrun at a remote outpost one killed immediately and two taken from the scene, their mutilated corpses found days later booby-trapped with explosives. Black Hearts is an unflinching account of the epic, tragic deployment of 1st Platoon. Drawing on hundreds of hours of in-depth interviews with Black Heart soldiers and first-hand reporting from the Triangle of Death, Black Hearts is a timeless story about men in combat and the fragility of character in the savage crucible of warfare. But it is also a timely warning of new dangers emerging in the way American soldiers are led on the battlefields of the twenty-first century. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyJIM FREDERICK was a contributing editor at Time magazine. He was previously a Time senior editor in London and, before that, the magazine s Tokyo bureau chief. He coauthored, with former Army Sergeant Charles Robert Jenkins, The Reluctant Communist: My Desertion, Court-Martial, and Forty-Year Imprisonment in North Korea. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Jim Frederick
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Inc
- Content Notecolour illustrations, maps
- Weight363 g
- Width130 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.67
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.72
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $35.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.