All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBlack holes are one of the most remarkable predictions of Einstein's general relativity. In recent years, ideas in brane-world cosmology, string theory and gauge/gravity duality have motivated studies of black holes in more than four dimensions, with surprising results. In higher dimensions, black holes exist with exotic shapes and unusual dynamics. Edited by leading expert Gary Horowitz, this exciting book is the first devoted to this new field. The major discoveries are explained by the people who made them: Rob Myers describes the Myers-Perry solutions that represent rotating black holes in higher dimensions; Ruth Gregory describes the Gregory-Laflamme instability of black strings; and Juan Maldacena introduces gauge/gravity duality, the remarkable correspondence that relates a gravitational theory to ngravitational physics. Accessible to anyone with a standard course in general relativity, this is an important resource for graduate students and researchers in general relativity, string theory and high energy physics.
- Author BiographyGary Horowitz is a professor of physics at the University of California, Santa Barbara. He has made numerous contributions to classical and quantum gravity. In particular, he (co-)discovered a class of higher dimensional black holes called 'black branes'. Professor Horowitz is a member of the National Academy of Science, a Fellow of the American Physical Society and a member of the International Committee for the General Relativity and Gravitation Society. He has won the Xanthopoulos Prize in general relativity and has written over 150 research articles.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication19/04/2012
- SubjectAstronomy, Space & Time
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note50 b/w illus.
- Weight1010 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byGary T. Horowitz
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.