All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMention the state of Vermont and images of maple syrup, scenic mountains, and progressive politics come to mind. But in addition to skiing, farming, and fall foliage, there is also a startling history of racial and religious intolerance and bigotry. Burlington is kwn as the birthplace of John Dewey, whose enlightened views about education reached far beyond the Green Mountains to impact schools. Yet there exist many unsavory examples of equitable education deferred for a small but growing population. Black males, especially, have t been treated fairly - suffering in silence as a disproportional number are shunted away from opportunities such as college-prep courses and instead, into special education, the principal's office, and out the door due to suspension. This book seeks to answer the question: What is truly going on for Black males in Vermont public schools? Only those who were students in public schools across the state can really answer that question, and their perspectives help shed light on the condition of Black males in predominantly white rural spheres experiencing similar shifts in racial demographics across the nation.
- Author BiographyDenise Helen Dunbar has 30 years of experience in the field of social justice education, working to facilitate the transformation of equitable communities where all students have opportunities to achieve. A scholar, advocate, and consultant, Dr. Dunbar founded Just Transformations, an organization dedicated to training educators to successfully foster equity and excellence within their schools.
- Author(s)Denise Helen Dunbar
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication31/10/2012
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleBlack Studies and Critical Thinking
- Series Part/Volume Number38
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2012
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight300 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $64.22Trending at AU $77.83
- AU $21.86Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $19.90Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $19.49
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $94.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.