All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1997, Oxford graduate, working mother and Times journalist Rachel Kelly went from feeling mildly anxious to being completely unable to function within the space of just three days. Prescribed antidepressants by her doctor, and supported by her husband and her family, Rachel slowly began to get better, but her anxiety levels remained high, and six years later, as a stay-at-home mother, she suffered a second collapse even worse than the first. Throughout both of Rachel's periods of severe depression, the healing power of poetry became an integral part of her recovery. As someone who had always loved poetry, it became something for Rachel to cling on to in times of need - from repeating short mantras to learning and reciting entire poems - these words and verses became a powerful force for change in her life. In Black Rainbow Rachel analyses why poetry can be one answer to depression, and the book contains a selected 40 of the poems that provided Rachel with solace and comfort during her breakdown and recovery. At a time when mental health problems and depression are becoming more common, and the stigma around such issues is finally being lifted, this book offers a lifeline for anyone seeking to understand depression and seek new ways to treat it. Poetry is free, has side-effects and, as Rachel can attest, 'prescribing words instead of pills' can be an incredibly powerful remedy.
- Author BiographyRachel Kelly was a journalist for many years, and spent ten years on the Times, where she was variously a reporter, feature writer and columnist, writing the paper's 'Alternatively Speaking' health column. Her interest in health and therapy led to her completing the first year of training as a counsellor. Her long-standing passion for poetry led to her becoming the co-founder of the iF poetry app and co-editor of iF: A Treasury of Poetry for Almost Every Possibility.
- Author(s)Rachel Kelly
- PublisherQuercus Books
- Date of Publication06/10/2015
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintQuercus Books
- Weight522 g
- Width152 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.16New
- AU $64.84Used
- AU $78.59New
- AU $105.40New
- AU $75.53Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $38.97Trending at AU $69.17
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $80.10
- AU $21.24Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $94.39
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.54
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.10
- AU $21.24Trending at AU $22.97
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.