All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUsing the the Negro Problem in African American literature as a point of departure, this book focuses on the profound impact that racism had on the literary imagination of black Americans, specifically those in the South. Although the South has been one of the most enduring sites of criticism in American Studies and in American literary history, Johnson argues that it is impossible to consider what the South and what southernness mean as cultural references without looking at how black women have contributed to and contested any unified definition of that region. Johnson challenges the homogeneity of a white South and southern cultural identity by recognizing how fictional and historical black women are underackwledged agents of cultural change. Johnson regards the South as a cultural region that (re)constructs black womanhood, but she also considers how black womanhood have transformed the South. Specialists in nineteenth and twentieth century American literature will find this book a necessary addition, as will scholars of African American Literature and History.
- Author BiographySherita L. Johnson is an Assistant Professor of English at the University of Southern Mississippi. She has published several encyclopedia articles about African American literature and culture. She served as a guest editor for a special issue of The Southern Quarterly, 'My Southern Home': The Life and Literature of 19th Century Southern Black Writers.
- Author(s)Sherita L. Johnson
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication12/03/2013
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleStudies in American Popular History and Culture
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white tables
- Weight249 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.