All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBlack and Brown in Los Angeles is a timely and wide-ranging, interdisciplinary foray into the complicated world of multi ethnic Los Angeles. The first book to focus exclusively on the range of relationships and interactions between Latinas/os and African Americans in one of the most diverse cities in the United States, the book delivers supporting evidence that Los Angeles is a key place to study racial politics while also providing the basis for broader discussions of multi ethnic America. Students, faculty, and interested readers will gain an understanding of the different forms of cultural borrowing and exchange that have shaped a terrain through which African Americans and Latinas/os cross paths, intersect, move in parallel tracks, and engage with a whole range of aspects of urban living. Tensions and shared intimacies are recurrent themes that emerge as the contributors seek to integrate artistic and cultural constructs with politics and ecomics in their goal of extending simple paradigms of conflict, cooperation, or coalition. The book features essays by historians, ecomists, and cultural and ethnic studies scholars, alongside contributions by photographers and journalists working in Los Angeles.
- Author BiographyJosh Kun is an Associate Professor in the USC Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism. His books include Audiotopia: Music, Race, and America (California, 2005) and Songs in the Key of Los Angeles: Sheet Music and the Making of Southern California (Angel City Press, 2013). Laura Pulido is Professor of American Studies and Ethnicity at USC. Her books include Black, Brown, Yellow, and Left: Radical Activism in Los Angeles (California, 2006) and A People's Guide to Los Angeles (California, 2012).
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication17/12/2013
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note30 b/w photographs, 17 line illustrations, 9 tables
- Weight494 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Edited byJosh Kun,Laura Pulido
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.