Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.90
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.95
About this product
- DescriptionBlackness Without Ethnicity draws on fifteen years of his research in Bahia, Rio Suriname, and Amsterdam. Sansone uses his findings to explore the very different ways that race and ethnicity are constructed in Brazil and the rest of Latin America. He compares these Latin American conceptions of race to dominate tions of race that are defined by a black-white polarity and clearly identifiable ethnicities, formulations he sees as highly influenced by the US and to a lesser degree Western Europe. Sansone argues that understanding more complex and ambiguous tions of culture and identity will expand the international discourse on race and move it away from American dominated tions that are t adequate to describe racial difference in other countries (and also in the countries where the tions originated). He also explores the effects of globalization on constructions of race.
- Author BiographyLIVIO SANSONE is Vice Director of the Centro de Estudos Afro-Asiaticos at the Universidade Candido Mendes in Brazil. This is the largest research center on race in Brazil. He has published extensively on race and the construction of black identity in English, Dutch, and Portuguese.
- Author(s)Livio Sansone
- PublisherSt Martin's Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2003
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSt Martin's Press
- Content Notebiography
- Weight454 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.