All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
About this product
- DescriptionIn this important new book, Stephen Driver and Luke Martell examine how the Blair government is re--shaping Britain, Britaina s place in Europe and British social democracy. This timely study of Laboura s first term in power for two decades challenges the view that New Labour has thrown in the towel to Thatcherite neo--liberalism. Driver and Martell argue that Tony Blaira s government has in fact taken politics and policy--making beyond Thatcherism. But they also cast doubt on some of the social democratic claims of Labour modernizers. While Laboura s stunning election victories in 1997 and 2001 have given the Blair government an unprecedented opportunity to shape the political and policy landscape in Laboura s image, Blaira s Britain continues to bear the imprint of eighteen years of radical Conservative government. Blaira s Britain explores the central policy dilemmas faced by the Labour Party in government in its second term and beyond: the balance between social justice and ecomic efficiency; strong government and pluralist politics; and work and home life. The authors explore how social democrats and progressive politicians across Europe in Germany, France, the Netherlands, Scandinavia and the Mediterranean, as well as the United States, have responded to the challenges of globalization and social change -- and examine the comparative politics of social democracy across Europe and the rest of the world today. This book is the most comprehensive survey of New Labour yet to appear, and will be read by students of politics and sociology as well as being accessible to the general reader. .
- Author BiographyStephen Driver is Senior Lecturer in the School of Sociology and Social Policy at the University of Surrey Roehampton. Luke Martell is Senior Lecturer in the School of Social Sciences at the University of Sussex.
- Author(s)Luke Martell,Stephen Driver
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2002
- SubjectPolitical Ideologies & Parties
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Content Note0
- Weight386 g
- Width153 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.