All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThough often described with foreboding buzzwords such as The Great Firewall and the censorship regime, Internet regulation in China is rarely either obvious or straightforward. This was the inspiration for China specialist Jason Q. Ng to write an invative computer script that would make it possible to deduce just which terms are suppressed on China s most important social media site, Sina Weibo. The remarkable and groundbreaking result is Blocked on Weibo, which began as a highly praised blog and has been expanded here to list over 150 forbidden keywords, as well as offer possible explanations why the Chinese government would find these terms sensitive. As Ng explains, Weibo (roughly the equivalent of Twitter), with over 500 million registered accounts, censors hundreds of words and phrases, ranging from fairly obvious terms, including tank (a reference to the Tank Man who stared down the Chinese army in Tiananmen Square) and the names of top government officials (if they can t be found online, they can't be criticized), to deeply obscure references, including hairy bacon (a coded insult referring to Mao s embalmed body). With dozens of phrases that could get a Chinese Internet user invited to the local police station for a cup of tea (a euphemism for being detained by the authorities), Blocked on Weibo offers an invaluable guide to sensitive topics in modern-day China as well as a fascinating tour of recent Chinese history.
- Author BiographyJason Q. Ng is a research consultant for China Digital Times and a 2013 Google Policy Fellow at the Citizen Lab. His work has been featured in Le Monde, the Huffington Post, the Next Web, Asia Pacific Forum, and Shanghaiist. He writes regularly on China for Waging Nonviolence. He lives in New Jersey.
- Author(s)Jason Q Ng
- PublisherThe New Press
- Date of Publication27/08/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationNY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe New Press
- Weight295 g
- Width137 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.11Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.