All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNew literacies have many functions in schools and learning, but science and mathematics education are among the contexts where their full potential has yet to be explored. This book both illustrates and critically analyzes the practice of blogging and its possibilities for fostering different ways of communicating, interacting, learning, and thinking in these subjects. Grounded in empirical data gathered from teachers and students using blogs in a variety of contexts, the book examines which specific uses of blogging can be most conducive to transforming science and mathematics classrooms into places that are more equitable and just - places that invite and nurture new, more social, comprehensive, and authentic forms of participation and learning.
- Author BiographyApril Luehmann is a science educator, teaching in the science teacher preparation and doctoral programs at the University of Rochester. She completed graduate degrees in science education and industrial and operations engineering at the University of Michigan, and has taught mathematics and science at the secondary level. Luehmann's research focuses on the design and use of new media literacies, out-of-school learning contexts and experiences, and innovative teacher development programs to explicitly address issues of equity and social justice through the transformation of participation structures for and between secondary science teachers and all science students, especially those who have been traditionally disadvantaged in and by schools. Raffaela Borasi is Dean of the Warner School of Education at the University of Rochester. She is a mathematics educator with special interests in an inquiry approach to teaching school mathematics.
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/07/2011
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleNew Literacies and Digital Epistemologies
- Series Part/Volume Number41
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Note99, ill. and tables
- Weight520 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edited byApril Luehmann,Raffaella Borasi
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.