All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt's July 2003. A tropical heat wave is raging and old people are dropping like flies in Paris. The Sampsons move from their happy home into a caravan that thinks it's a sauna. In 12 months they must build a house of straw on terrain as rocky as their practical credentials... To anyone who struggles to pitch a tent, the prospect of building a grand design of straw bales - in France Profonde - could be somewhat unsettling. Some will tell you that building their own home is an enjoyable and rewarding experience; Mark Sampson will tell you it was hellish. Based on his journal of building the house seen on frequent re-runs of Channel 4's Grand Designs, this is a darkly comic account of a year of living uncomfortably close to the edge. Less about the technical aspects of construction, Bloody Murder is more about the de-construction of family life in the face of a looming deadline, a shrinking budget, capricious conditions and a motley cast of tradesmen. Laugh, cry and wonder why.
- Author BiographyMark Sampson is a writer, journalist and book-maker based in South-west France. Born in London and raised in Belfast, he studied English Literature at Exeter University and American Studies at the University of Sussex in Brighton, where he met his wife, Deborah. They moved from Sheffield to France in 1995, not long after the birth of their daughter. They moved from the Correze to the Lot in 2003 to build the straw-bale house featured in the only series to date of Grand Designs Abroad. Mark has written stage plays, screenplays, children's books and two books of non-fiction. The second, Essential Questions to Ask When Buying a House in France was updated in 2012 as his first eBook for Amazon Kindle. As a journalist, he has written for most UK newspapers and many magazines, including France Magazine and Living France. As an on-line DJ for www.expatsradio.com, he also reviews Latin jazz and other world music for Songlines magazine.
- Author(s)MR Mark Sampson
- Date of Publication10/03/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMind, Body & Spirit: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight404 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.52
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.93
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.