All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom his film festival debut Hard Eight to ambitious studio epics Boogie Nights, Maglia, and There Will Be Blood, Paul Thomas Anderson's unique cinematic vision focuses on postmodern excess and media culture. In Blossoms and Blood, Jason Sperb studies the filmmaker's evolving aesthetic and its historical context to argue that Anderson's films create new, often ambivalent, narratives of American identity in a media-saturated world. Blossoms and Blood explores Anderson's films in relation to the aesthetic and ecomic shifts within the film industry and to America's changing social and political sensibilities since the mid-1990s. Sperb provides an auteur study with important implications for film history, media studies, cultural studies, and gender studies. He charts major themes in Anderson's work, such as stardom, self-reflexivity, and masculinity and shows how they are indicative of trends in late twentieth-century American culture. One of the first books to focus on Anderson's work, Blossoms and Blood reveals the development of an under-studied filmmaker attuned to the contradictions of a postmodern media culture.
- Author BiographyJason Sperb is a lecturer in the Department of Radio/Television/Film at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois.
- Author(s)Jason Sperb
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication01/12/2013
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note100 b&w photos
- Weight604 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine585 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.