All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe advance of genetic sciences has led to a 'blue revolution' in the way we use aquatic biodiversity. By 2020, the world will be eating almost as much farmed as wild fish, marine bacteria could yield the cure for cancer and deep-sea bacteria may be exploited to gobble up oil spills. Science is moving ahead at a staggering speed, and the demand for genetic resources is growing rapidly - yet governance and policy lag far behind. This groundbreaking work is the first to look at the ownership, governance and trade in aquatic genetic resources. Blue Genes describes the growing demand for aquatic genetic resources and the desperate need to fill the policy vacuum about the management and conservation of aquatic biodiversity, which would help create a foundation for rules dictating access to, and use of, aquatic genetic resources. Special attention is paid to indigeus and local people having the right to access these resources and their role in managing and conserving aquatic biodiversity. The book concludes with policy recommendations specifically tailored to aquatic resources, with the use of six case studies from four continents to illustrate key issues.
- Author BiographyDavid Greer is an independent legal consultant specializing in natural resources and biodiversity management policy. Brian Harvey is a fisheries biologist and President of World Fisheries Trust.
- Author(s)Brian Harvey,David Greer
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/09/2004
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEarthscan Ltd
- Content NoteFigures, tables, index
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.52
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.