All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExcerpt from Bluff Stakes Launceston, dainty premier city of Northern Tasmania, lay in the shadow of oncoming night. Summer had passed; the muggy heat of cloudless days was giving place to crisp April mornings and the bracing conquest of the autumn winds. Rains beating in from the south-west had stilled the air and coaxed the parched hills to something of their former comeliness. Westwards, across the wide sweep of the coastline, where the undulating reaches of the foreshore lay open to the sea, the brown plains and windswept hollows of the more sparsely settled areas were experiencing to the full the cool comfort of the heat's remission. But in the city itself, set forty miles from the seaboard, and ringed about by Tiers of low hills, the air was still close and sultry. As the darkness deepened this oppressiveness seemed somehow intensified. Even the placid waters of the River Tamar, gleaming like a mirror from its framing of shadowed bush, reflected something of the night's inherent discomfort. There was a suggestion of almost melancholy in the abortive fluttering of the evening breeze. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art techlogy to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.
- Author(s)Bernard Cronin
- PublisherForgotten Books
- Date of Publication26/11/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintForgotten Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight435 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.