Board Member Orientation: The Concise and Complete Guide to Nonprofit Board Service by Michael E Batts (Paperback / softback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $25.30Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $82.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFinally! Board member orientation truly simplified. Serving on a nprofit board can be an incredibly rewarding experience for the properly prepared board member. This book is for the generous and busy people who agree to give of their time and talents by serving on nprofit boards. Nonprofit boards often fail to do a good job of board member orientation for a variety of reasons. It takes a significant amount of time and effort to plan and conduct quality board member orientation programs, and every time a new board member arrives, it's time to do it again! Because of the challenges associated with providing quality board member orientation, many nprofit organizations do t do it at all, leaving their board members to wing it. This book provides help and support to the truly great men and women serving on nprofit boards whose service makes a positive difference in the lives of countless people every day. This book is a concise and appropriately comprehensive guide to nprofit board service designed especially for new board members. It is a quick read, (about one hour), yet it addresses with accuracy the most significant elements of board service, such as mission, responsibility, duty, risk, liability, and board meeting dynamics. Hooey Alerts! Watch for Hooey Alerts! where the author identifies and dispels common myths and legends about nprofit board service. There are many sources of false or misleading information about the nprofit board service environment. A perfect example is the often vaguely-worded and intimidating assertion or implication that the Sarbanes-Oxley Act passed by Congress in 2002 applies to nprofit organizations in a manner similar to how it applies to publicly-traded companies. (It does t.) Reviews This book is the perfect guide for every nprofit board member! Concise, highly informative, and loaded with nuggets of wisdom, it's a must read that will take board members to the next level of successful board governance. -- J. Todd Chasteen, General Counsel, Samaritan's Purse Mike Batts has put his quarter century of advising and serving on nprofit boards to good use in this accurate and easy-to-read book. In addition to describing major principles of nprofit law and governance, the book provides helpful questions to guide board members in understanding the practical applications of the concepts discussed. While geared primarily toward helping new board members get up to speed quickly, it should also help veteran board members discharge their stewardship roles wisely and efficiently. -- Chuck Hartman, Associate Professor of Business Law and Accounting, Cedarville University This book, Board Member Orientation, is exactly what a busy volunteer board member needs. The board member's duties are presented in a clear and concise manner from the perspective of someone who has been around many boards. With a focus on those issues that are most common and/or most important, it is perfect for board member orientation and for quick reference reminders for the experienced board member. -- Doug Starcher, Partner, Broad & Cassel This book provides clear, -nsense guidance on the basic issues for new nprofit board members. Using this book for board member orientation will ensure your organization has communicated fundamental governance issues and will assist the board in determining risk management strategies. -- Dan Busby, President, ECFA *********************************** The Simple Board Member Orientation Process Using This Book: 1.Your board members read Chapters 1-9 of the book, which will provide them with insights regarding the key elements of nprofit board service. 2.You provide the board members with copies of the documents described in Chapter 10 related to your organization. 3.You meet with your board members to discuss the unique attributes of your organization following the discussion questions provided in Chapter 10. Done!
- Author BiographyMichael Batts has more than 25 years of experience serving on nonprofit boards and advising nonprofit organizations on matters related to board governance, financial reporting, tax compliance and strategy, corporate structure, international activities, and related issues. Mike is the president of Batts Morrison Wales & Lee, an accounting firm dedicated exclusively to serving nonprofit organizations and their affiliates across the United States. He is an accomplished author and national speaker on matters related to the nonprofit sector. Mike has actively engaged in nonprofit legislative matters. He previously served as chairman of the board of ECFA, a national organization that accredits religious nonprofit organizations in the areas of board governance and financial integrity. He also served as Chairman of ECFA's Standards Committee. Mike was appointed chairman of the Commission on Accountability and Policy for Religious Organizations, a national commission convened upon the request of U.S. Senator Charles Grassley to address accountability and policy issues related to religious and other nonprofit organizations.
- Author(s)Michael E Batts
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication03/02/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectManagement & Business: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight113 g
- Width137 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $23.03New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.87Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.28Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $32.46Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.