All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionBody and Voice: Learning to Work Together is an excellent resource for teachers of singing, voice coaches, and speech-language pathologists who work with singers and other voice professionals. It provides a new paradigm for working with singers in a way that allows for improved kinesthetic awareness needed to work with their body rather than against it. The text contains a series of lessons designed to train singing teachers, coaches, and voice therapists to recognize in their students the patterns of use and posture that interfere with respiration, phonation, and/or resonance. In addition, it provides tools for the teacher to guide the student to a level of self-awareness of habituated patterns along with strategies to implement change from the inside out. Few pedagogical or therapeutic approaches provide any training in the recognition of the subtle, indirect patterns of use, stance, or tension that prevent students from relaxing the jaw, releasing the breath, lifting the palate, or any of the other demands teachers make to get them to sing well.Even when the teacher recognizes that there is a problem, the kwledge of how to retrain the student's neuro-musculo-skeletal system in order to effect real change and self-awareness by the student is often limited or lacking. Body and Voice: Learning to Work Together addresses this need. This book begins with a brief definition and theoretical overview of body reeducation, its principles and applications. Subsequent chapters teach how to recognize poor body dynamics. The final chapters provide specific lessons as well as guidance for independent explorations that will increase the student's kinesthetic and body awareness. A CD-ROM containing the lessons described in the book is included.
- Author BiographyMarina Gilman, MM, MA, CCC-SLP, holds an MM in Vocal Performance (Ithaca College) and an MA in Communication Disorders (Northwestern University). She is a singing voice teacher, performer, Guild Certified Feldenkrais(R) Practitioner, and licensed speech pathologist with specialization in the singing voice. In addition to serving as head of the Vocal Coaching Program at Cornell University, Adjunct Professor of Voice at Syracuse University, and Adjunct Professor of Voice and Speech at the DePaul University Theater School, she has maintained a private voice studio for over 35 years. Ms. Gilman also taught at The School at Steppenwolf Theater Company summer program.
- Author(s)Marina Gilman
- PublisherPlural Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication02/06/2014
- FormatMixed media product
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationSan Diego
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPlural Publishing Inc
- Content Noteb/w illustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Contained items statementContains Paperback and CD-Audio
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.