Bold! Daring! Shocking! True! : A History of Exploitation Films, 1919-1959 by Eric Schaefer (Paperback, 1999)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $38.66Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $45.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUnashamed nudists, high-flying hopheads, brazen strippers, vicious vice lords, and high school girls who find themselves 'in trouble' comprise the population of exploitation films. In the first full-scale history of these low-budget movies of decades past, Eric Schaefer reveals how this pioneering form of trash film purveyed the forbidden thrills of explicit sexual behavior, drug use, and vice that the mainstream movie industry could t show. Bold! Daring! Shocking! True! is a meticulously researched, interdisciplinary study that is informed by a wide range of sources - including both mainstream and industry newspapers and periodicals, archival accounts, personal interviews, and the films themselves. Schaefer begins by exploring the unique mode of production of exploitation movies, their distribution, and the outrageous exhibition practices that were rooted in the traditions of sideshows and carnivals. His close analysis of dozens of films, such as The Road to Ruin , Modern Motherhood , One Way Ticket to Hell , and The Wages of Sin demonstrates that these films were more than simply 'bad' movies. By situating exploitation films in a historical context and organizing them according to the social problems they addressed, Schaefer shows how they evolved during a period of forty years and how, during that time, they shaped public policies and attitudes. Finally, he focuses on the changes in the postwar American film industry that led to the decline of the classical exploitation film and set the stage for the rise of 'sexploitation' in the 1960s. Engagingly written, illustrated with rare photographs, posters, production stills, and ad slicks, and offering a full filmography, Bold! Daring! Shocking! True! reveals a forgotten side of film history and American culture. It will delight and inform those interested in film history, cultural studies, American studies and history, and the many fans of exploitation films.
- Author BiographyEric Schaefer is Assistant Professor of Visual and Media Arts at Emerson College in Boston.
- Author(s)Eric Schaefer
- PublisherDuke University Press
- Date of Publication01/10/1999
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationNorth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDuke University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight771 g
- Width156 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine35 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $21.12New
- AU $18.72New
- AU $10.89Used
- AU $24.74New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $13.54New
- AU $6.44Used
- AU $19.88New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.70New
- AU $11.50Used
- AU $23.89New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $18.72Trending at AU $21.12
- AU $22.97Trending at AU $26.87
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $77.71
- AU $78.51Trending at AU $90.07
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.10
- AU $21.44Trending at AU $22.55
- AU $39.94Trending at AU $43.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.