All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $74.74
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.46
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.65
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.44
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.36
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.46
About this product
- DescriptionBollywood Weddings explores how Indian-American Hindus negotiate two vastly different wedding cultures: those of mainstream America and of Hindu India. Based on extensive ethgraphic fieldwork and drawing on recent advances in material culture studies, Ramdya suggests that Bollywood, whose Indian origins grants it authenticity from the Hindu perspective and whose emphasis on romance accommodates American values, emerges as the key mediating third culture that allows Indian-American Hindus to reinforce their community's identity as ethnic and American even as it confirms that success in America need t be bought at the expense of one's religious background and cultural heritage.
- Author BiographyDr. Kavita Ramdya is an independent researcher in American Studies. For more information on Kavita and Bollywood Weddings check out her website at http://www.bollywood-weddings.com/Home.html.
- Author(s)Kavita Ramdya
- PublisherLexington Books
- Date of Publication03/12/2009
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLexington Books
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight345 g
- Width160 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.