Bombay Anna: The Real Story and Remarkable Adventures of the King and I Governess by Susan Morgan (Paperback, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $37.41Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $25.00Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by tangleberrys
- Est. delivery by 6 Feb
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIf you thought you knew the story of Anna in The King and I , think again. As this riveting biography shows, the real life of Anna Leowens was far more fascinating than the beloved story of the Victorian governess who went to work for the King of Siam. To write this definitive account, Susan Morgan traveled around the globe and discovered new information that has eluded researchers for years. Anna was born a poor, mixed-race army brat in India, and what followed is an extraordinary nineteenth-century story of savvy self-invention, wild adventure, and far-reaching influence. At a time when most women stayed at home, Anna Leowens traveled all over the world, witnessed some of the most fascinating events of the Age of Empire, and became a well-kwn travel writer, journalist, teacher, and lecturer. She remains the one and only foreigner to have spent significant time inside the royal harem of Siam. She emigrated to the United States, crossed all of Russia on her own just before the revolution, and moved to Canada, where she publicly defended the rights of women and the working class. The book also gives an engrossing account of how and why Anna became an icon of American culture in The King and I and its many adaptations.
- Author BiographySusan Morgan, Distinguished Professor of English at Miami University, is the author of Place Matters: Gendered Geography in Victorian Women's Travel Writings about Southeast Asia, among other books.
- Author(s)Susan Morgan
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication14/09/2009
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note15 b/w photographs
- Weight63 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.74
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.